Recently I have signed up for the Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer program, one thing I like about the Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer program is as long as you have a mileage activity in your Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer account once every 36 months your Virgin Atlantic miles will never expire. By shopping using the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal you not only earn valuable Virgin Atlantic Miles but also you will be able to extend your miles expiry date three years from the date you receive the mileage credit.
One of the good option to accumulate the Virgin Atlantic mile is by using the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal for your internet shopping. Just like the major US carries shopping portal, the Virgin Atlantic has close to 600+ shops available through the shopping portal for earning Virgin Atlantic miles.
Checking the Cash Back Monitor Portal for Maximum Points Earning
Whenever possible check the “CashBackMonitor” portal to find out which airline shopping portal offers maximum points for your shopping and use it to gain maximum points for your shopping. But sometimes you may want to shop using Virgin Atlantic shopping portal because your miles will expire in the next 90 days or you aim is to collect Virgin Atlantic miles for your feature award travel.
For some reason I found out the CashBackMonitor is not showing all the online shop available in the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal. So if the CashBackMonitor portal is not showing up the points you will earn for shopping through Virgin Atlantic shopping portal, it is better to check the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal before you start your online shopping.
In this blog, I am going to assume that the main aim is to collect Virgin Atlantic miles and I will be showing you how you can use the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal to earn miles for your online shopping.
Advantages of Shopping through Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal
- Your Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer miles never expire as long as you use the portal to shop every 36 months. It is advisable to buy every 33 months because it may take anywhere from 7 days to 90 days to get the miles posted to your account.
- Earn multiple Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer miles for your online shopping.
Shopping Using Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal
First, you need to sign on to the Virgin Atlantic website or Virgin Atlantic shopping portal website. I would suggest you directly log on to Virgin Atlantic shopping portal which will skip the additional steps required to reach the shopping portal website.
Accessing Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal from Virgin Atlantic Website for UK users only
Sign on to Virgin Atlantic frequent flyer account
After you sign on click the Flying Club link available in the top right-hand corner and choose the Shops Away link which will take you to the Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal. Please note if your frequent flyer account is created for USA based address, you will not see the shops away link. You need to use the option shown below and directly log on to the stops away account.
Accessing Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal from Shops Away Website for both UK and USA Users
Use the following URL to directly go to the shops away website using your frequent flyer id, first name, and last name. One strange thing I noticed was the shops away does not ask for your password when you try to directly login using the shops away website.
When you log in from shops away website make sure you switch to the USA store from the default UK stores. If you forget to change to USA store, you will be taken to the UK shopping portal, and it will show only the website available for the UK shopper.
If you forgot to change the country log out, change the country to the USA and log back in to set the proper online shopping portal access.
Enter frequent flyer number, first name, and the last name to gain access to the shopping portal.
Choosing an Online Shop for the Shopping Portal
You can choose your online shopping sites from the list of shops listed in the shopping portal, or you can run a search and pick up the online shopping site that you want to shop from the shopping portal.
I am planning to shop at Macy’s online store, so I am choosing the Macys from the list of offers. For my shopping at Macy’s through Virgin Atlantic shopping portal I will be receiving 4 miles for each dollar spent. This does not include the additional 1 mile I will earn when I use my miles or points earning credit card.
You can also search and pick up the shopping website from the search option.
After choosing the shopping site, in this case, Macy’s you will be shown the number of miles one will earn for each dollar spent as well as there are any terms & conditions. The terms & conditions will show exclusion like gift card purchase or any other items that are not eligible for the 4x mile earning.
After you click the “Shop Now” link, your shopping website will open in another browser tab, in our case the Macy’s website will open in another tab.
When you choose “Shop Now,” the online shopping site you are planning to shop will open in another tab. In this case, the “Macys.com” website will open in another tab. You will be making your online purchase directly from the online vendor website.
I selected the product I want to purchase from the Macy’s website and added to my shopping bag.
If you have an account with the online shopping website, you can login using that account to place the order. Since I do have an account with Macy’s, so I used my Macy’s account to log in to check out the items from my shopping bag. If you do not have an account and there is an option available to check out as a guest you can use that option to check out your item without needing a registered account with Macy’s.
At the checkout, I had the option of paying by credit card or Macy’s gift card. Since I had $80 worth of Macy’s gift card, I used the card for the purchase. Please note you are allowed to purchase using the credit card or debit card or gift card, regardless of payment method you will receive the bonus miles for your purchase.
After placing the order, I received confirmation from Macy’s about my shipping details and order number.
By placing the order through the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal, I will be earning additional miles compared to just one mile or point if I have placed the order directly from Macy’s website without going through the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal.
What advantage one has shopping through the Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal
- Your Virgin Atlantic Frequent flyer miles will never expire as long as you have one mileage activity every 36 months. When you shop through the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal, you receive the mile for your internet purchase which is considered as mileage activity and the activity will extend your mileage expire for 36 more months.
- You can earn multiple miles for your online shopping where you will normally earn only one mile or point if you use your mile or points earning card directly in the shopping website or in-store. By going through Virgin Atlantic shopping portal you earn multiple points which will increase your point balance at a faster rate. Using the Macy’s example above you would have earned only 1 mile or point when you purchase your items at Macy’s website or Macy’s store. By using the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal, you will be earning 5 points (4 Virgin Atlantic miles + 1 credit card mile or point).
How to Check your Shopping Portal Mileage Earning History
After you log in to your shops away, account you can use the link available under the “My Shopping” and check the purchase history through the Virgin Atlantic Shopping Portal.
If you do not see any pending transactions for your shopping within five working days, you can fill up the missing shopping portal mileage form and send it to Virgin Atlantic using the following link.
Key Points to Note when Shopping through Any Online Shopping Portal
The key points mentioned below applies to all type of airline or hotel or credit card shopping portals. You need to make sure you understand how the airline shopping portal points are tracked and credited when you purchase through the airline or hotel or credit card shopping portal.
- If you are taking a long time to shop from your shopping website, there is a possibility the Virgin Atlantic shopping portal website may time out and log you out of your login session. If that happens, you may have difficulty in properly getting the shopping portal bonus miles. To avoid login out of your session, I would suggest you check every two minutes and make sure you shopping portal session is still valid, and you are still logged on to the account.
- Always use two browsers one browser to reach about the product you want to purchase and another browser to initiate the shopping portal purchase. If you have already chosen the product and added to the card on your shopping website before you access the shopping website from the shopping portal, you will not get a proper credit of bonus miles. You will not get a mileage credit if you already have items in your shopping cart. You can either empty the shopping cart before you start your purchase or use two browsers to avoid accidentally purchasing some items which are already in the shopping cart.
- Disable popup blocker and ad blocker in the browser that you are using to purchase airline shopping portal. If you keep the ad blocker on, you will not receive the additional bonus miles. This is a very import step, some shopping portal websites clearly will warn you when you have the ad blocker enabled, but some will not remind you about the adblocker. Just be on the safe side when you shop disable the popup and ad blocker and re-enable them after you finish shopping.
To ensure your shopping transactions are successful and earning you miles, make sure you follow the procedures listed under Virgin Atlantic Shows Away FAQ section.
Update: The Virgin Atlantic miles got posted after I saw no mileage activity in my shopping account I contacted Virgin Atlantic shopping support and enquired about the missing mileage credit. Four weeks after my request the mileage got posted. Please note I received fewer miles due to the fact I ended up returning few purchased items.