We all have frequent flyer miles scattered across various accounts of our family members, the miles in individual accounts may not be enough to get an award travel. But if you look at it if we combine the miles of our family members into one single account we may have enough miles for one or two award travel ticket. How do we combine all the miles into a single account? Airlines charges anywhere from 1.3 to 1.7 cents per miles for transferring miles from one account to another account.
Frequently Airlines offer a discount on the amount we pay to transfer the mile in the form of either giving a discount on per miles transferred or bonus miles like 50% or 100% of the miles transferred. Either way, it is better to wait till the airlines come up with such a sale. If you can transfer the miles less than 1 cent a mile, then it is a good deal.
Typically United Airlines did not give any discount on the miles transferred from one account another account. But for the past one year they are offering a discount on the miles transferred from one account to another account. Currently, they offer 40% discount on miles transferred from one account to another account. This is the highest discount they have offered for the miles transferred from one to another account in the last one year they have started offering discounts on the transferred miles.
If you have United miles scattered across the different account, now it is time to consolidated them into one single account for an award travel. For example let us say you have three accounts in your family with 20,000 miles in one account, 20,000 in another and 10,000 in another account. You can transfer account B and C miles to account A to consolidate the account A’s total miles to 50,000 miles which is worth two round trip ticket in economy class at the saver award for a trip in the lower 48 states, which could be worth as much as $1,200.
Currently you can transfer up to 25,000 miles from one account to another which will cost you $243 compared to $375 without the transfer offer. This works out to 0.097c per miles transferred compared to 1.5c without the offer.
This is one of the best offers United has given in recent times for transferring miles from one account to another. You have till August 15, 2016, to transfer the miles to get the 40% discount deal. United will take 48 hours to post the transferred miles.
The points purchase is processed through points.com, and you will not earn any additional bonus points if you use any rewards cards like Chase Sapphire or American Express Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige Card to pay for the purchase that will give you additional points for travel category.
Terms and Conditions
- The processing fee per transaction is $18
- Displayed prices include all discounts
- GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents
- Limit of 25,000 miles per transaction
- Miles can be transferred in 500-mile increments between 500 and 5,000 miles, and in 1,000-mile increments from 5,000 to 25,000 miles
- Give up to 100,000 miles to each recipient’s account per the calendar year – No recipient may receive more than
- 100,000 miles from any other MileagePlus account or combination of account in any calendar year
- Maximum transfer of up to 100,000 miles per the calendar year out of one account
- Allow up to 48 hours for the miles to post to each recipient’s account
- Your credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
- Minimum transfer 500 miles per account
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and Terms and conditions apply.