Other than flying there are several ways to earn United Airlines MileagePlus frequent flyer miles. I have written a blog post in the past how you can earn United Airlines MileagePlus miles using the MileagePlus X App for your in-store purchases.
In this blog article, I am going to show you how you can use United Airlines shopping portal to earn additional United Airlines miles for your online purchases.
Your United mileage expiry gets extended by 18 months when you shop through the United Airlines shopping portal. The United mileage expiry date extension is an added bonus on top of earning additional United Airline miles for your purchases.
Just like the other major US carries shopping portal, the United Airlines has close to 800+ shops available through the shopping portal for earning MileagePlus miles.
Check the Cash Back Monitor Portal for Maximum Points Earning
Whenever possible check the “CashBackMonitor” portal to find out which airline shopping portal offers maximum points for your shopping and use the information provided by “CashBackMonitor” to gain maximum points for your shopping.
But sometimes you may want to shop using United Airlines shopping portal because your miles will expire in the next 90 days or your aim is to collect United Airline miles for your feature award travel.
I was planning to shop at JCPenny, and the “CashBackMonitor” showed a maximum of 8 miles per dollar spent if I have used the Ultimate Reward portal to buy at JC Penny. But for a long time, I wanted to write a blog article to show how one can shop using the United Airlines shopping portal to get more United Airline miles. So I skipped the 8 miles earning option and went with 2 miles earning choice offered by United Airlines shopping portal.
But if you read below by strategically using other points earning credit card I got additional five UltimateRewards points on top of 2 United Airlines frequent flyer miles. So, in the end, it is not a bad deal to shop through the United Airlines shopping portal.
Advantages of Shopping through United Airlines Shopping Portal
- Your United Airlines frequent flyer miles never expire as long as you use the portal to shop every 18 months. It is advisable to buy every 15 months because it may take anywhere from 7 days to 90 days to get the miles posted to your account.
- Earn many United Airlines frequent flyer miles for your online shopping.
Shopping Using United Airlines Shopping Portal
You can access the United Airlines shopping portal through the United Airlines website, or you can directly go to MileagePlus Shopping website for accessing United shopping portal.
I would suggest you use the MileagePlus shopping portal for shopping the United shopping portal instead of United Airlines website. If you go to United Airlines website, it will be little tricky to find out the shopping portal page as you have to click multiple links to arrive at the United Shopping Portal webpage.
Log in Using United Website
Goto United website and enter your frequent flyer number and password.
After login choose the MileagePlus link available
Choose more ways to earn miles.
Choose MileagePlus shopping.
After clicking the MileagePlus shopping link, the MileagePlus shopping website will be open in another browser tab or window. Just make sure your name and frequent flyer numbers are displayed at the top of the MileagePlus website.
Log in Using MileagePlus Website
Login through the MileagePlus shopping site is straightforward, and you do not have to jump through hoops to get to the shopping portal. Use the following link to access the United Airlines shopping portal.
Choose Sign in for entering your frequent flyer user id and password.
Use your United frequent flyer account credentials to log in to the shopping portal.
Right after login, just verify your name and frequent flyer number is displayed at the top of the screen if not your login process is not complete.
Choosing an Online Shop for the Shopping Portal
You can choose your online shopping sites from the list of shops listed in the shopping portal, or you can run a search and pick up the online shopping site that you want to shop from the shopping portal.
I was planning to shop at JCPenny online store, so I searched for the online shopping site JCPenny in the search bar to get to the JCPenny miles offer page.
You can also pick and choose the online store you want to shop from the list of shops available at the MileagePlus shopping site.
After choosing the shopping site, in this case, JCPenny you will be shown the number of miles one will earn for each dollar spent as well as there are any terms & conditions. The terms & conditions will show exclusion like gift card purchase or any other items that are not eligible for the 2x mile earning.
After you click the “Shop Now” link, your shopping website will open in another browser tab, in our case the JCPenny website will open in another tab. You will be making your online purchase directly from the online vendor website.
I selected the product I want to purchase from the JCPenny website and added to my shopping bag. I also added additional items that I want to buy from JCPenny to my shopping bag and proceed to the checkout.
If you have a login account with the online shopping website, you can login using that login id/password to place the order. Since I do have an account with JCPenny so I used my JCPenny account to log in to check out the items from my shopping bag. If you do not have an account and there is an option available to check out as a guest, you can use that option to check out your item without needing a registered account with JCPenny.
At the checkout, I had an option to pick up the order at the local JCPenny store which will save me around $8 in shipping charges, so I choose the option of local store pickup instead of getting the product shipped to my home.
I paid using my Chase Freedom card which has the 4th quarter category bonus of 5x UltimateReward points per dollar spent at JCPenny. So I will be getting five additional points on top 2 United miles per dollar spent at JCPenny.
Please note you have to use your credit card to get the miles posted if the T&C excludes purchases made using gift cards or other cash equivalents.
After placing the order, I received confirmation from JCPenny about my shipping details, which is a store pickup and an order number.
By placing the order through the United Airlines shopping portal, I will be earning additional miles compared to just one mile or point if I have placed the order directly from JCPenny website without going through the United Airlines shopping portal.
What advantage one has shopping through the United Airlines Shopping Portal
- Your United Airlines frequent flyer miles will never expire as long as you have one mileage activity every 18 months. When you shop through the United Airlines shopping portal, you receive the mile for your internet purchase which is considered as mileage activity and the activity will extend your mileage expire for 18 months from the date of mileage posting.
- You can earn multiple miles for your online shopping where you will typically earn only one mile or point if you use your mile or points earning card directly in the shopping website or in-store. By going through United Airlines shopping portal, you earn multiple points which will increase your point balance at a faster rate. Using the JCPenny example above you would have received only 1 mile or point when you purchase your items at JCPenny website or in JCPenny store. By using the United Airlines shopping portal, you will be earning 3 points (2 United Airline miles + 1 credit card mile or point). But I will be earning 7 points by strategically using my miles and points credit card (2 United Airline miles + 5 UltimateRewards point).
How to Check your Shopping Portal Mileage Earning History Using United Website
The mileage earned through the online shopping portal can take anywhere from 7 to 60 days to post. So if you do not see your mileage getting posted even after 60 days, send out an email to MileagePlus support center and ask them about your shopping portal purchase missing mileage credit.
Since I made my purchase only two days ago, my account is not showing any mileage received from United Airlines shopping portal. Once the miles gets posted, you will see an entry United MileagePlus shopping portal purchase and the number of miles earned from the shopping portal.
Key Points to Note when Shopping through Any Online Shopping Portal
The key points mentioned below applies to all type of airline or hotel or credit card shopping portals. You need to make sure you understand how the airline shopping portal points are tracked and credited when you purchase through the airline or hotel or credit card shopping portal.
- You have to use your credit card for the purchase if the T&C states you cannot use gift cards or cash equivalents for your purchase. If you use gift cards or cash equivalents for your purchase, you will not get mileage credit for your online shopping portal.
- If you are taking a long time to shop from your shopping website, there is a possibility the United Airlines shopping portal website may time out and log you out of your login session. If that happens, you may have difficulty in getting the shopping portal bonus miles. To avoid login out of your connected session, I would suggest you check every two minutes and make sure you shopping portal session is still valid and you are still logged on to the account.
- Always use two browsers one browser to reach about the product you want to purchase and another browser to initiate the shopping portal purchase. If you have already chosen the product and added to the card on your shopping website before you access the shopping website from the shopping portal, you will not get a proper credit of bonus miles. You will not get a mileage credit if you already have items in your shopping cart. You can either empty the shopping cart before you start your purchase or use two browsers to avoid accidentally purchasing some items which are already in the shopping cart.
- Disable popup blocker and ad blocker in the browser that you are using to purchase airline shopping portal. If you keep the ad blocker on, you will not receive the additional bonus miles. This is a very import step, some shopping portal websites clearly will warn you when you have the ad blocker enabled, but some sites will not remind you about the adblocker. Just be on the safe side when you shop disable the popup and ad blocker and re-enable them after you finish shopping.
To ensure your shopping transactions are successful and earning you miles, make sure you follow the procedures listed under United Airlines shopping portal FAQ section.
Update #1: Received 5 UltimateRewards points for my purchase when I used the Chase Freedom card for my purchase