I was looking to purchase a carry on for my upcoming trip, and I was checking to see whether I can use an airline shopping portal to get additional points for my purchase. Whenever I try to buy an item, I first check the airline shopping portal and see whether I can earn extra airline miles for my purchase, which helps me to boost my airline miles for feature free business class travel.
Shopping Using AAdvantage Shopping Portal
I have frequent flyer miles with United, American, Alaska, Southwest, Air Canada and British Airways. Whenever possible, I give preferences to accumulating miles for United, American, Alaska Air, Southwest, and Air Canada.
So how do I find out which airline portal will offer me the best mileage per dollar spent so that I can use that airline shopping portal for my purchase?
Using Cash Back Monitor to Maximizing your Points Earning
Before I make an online purchase using the airline shopping portal, first I check the Cash Back Monitor website to find out which airline shopping portal will offer me the highest miles for my online shopping.
Since I want to purchase my carry-on baggage with “ebags.com,” I went to Cash Back Monitor website and searched the website to find out which airline portal will offer me a better mile earning per dollar.
I found out that British and American Airlines offered the highest mileage earning per dollar spend. Since I do not want to accumulate the British Airways miles, I decided to use American Airlines shopping portal for my ebags purchase.
Shopping using American Airlines AAdvantage Shopping Portal
I signed on to American Airlines AAdvantage website and chose the “earn miles” option.
When you are in the AAdvantage shopping portal, you can either click the online shopping website link available in the portal or you can search for your shopping site.
In my case, I know I am going to shop using ebags.com, so I entered the “ebags” in the search window and chose the ebags.com website for my shopping.
I click on the shop now button to get access the ebags.com website from AAdvantage website.
At this point, I have not entered the AAdvantage user id/password, so I was prompted to enter the user id and password of my AAdvantage account.
I was presented with the terms and conditions as well as the number AAdvantage miles I will be earning for each dollar spend. From the screenshot below you can see I will be earning 10 miles per dollar spend on shopping at ebags.com.
Shopping for Carry-on through EBAGS.com
After searching the ebags.com, I settled on purchasing a two piece carry-on costing $42.99 and added the item to the shopping cart.
After confirming the shopping cart item, I checked out the item for purchase.
From the shopping cart total, you will see there are three line item for the purchase
- Price of the item purchased
- Shipping and Handling Cost
- Sales Tax
The miles for dollar spend will be calculated based only on the cost of the items and not for the shipping & handling as well as sales tax levied on the purchase.
So based on the merchandise price I am expected to receive 429 or 430 AAdvantage miles from the shopping portal.
Since I will be using a mileage earning credit card, I will receive 48 miles or points for the using a miles/points earning credit card.
If you note the miles or points earning credit card will give me 48 mile which is the total amount, spent including shipping & handling as well as taxes.
Since I did not have an account with ebags.com, I decided to check out as a guest.
Provided my credit card number and place the order for the purchase.
During the entire process, I made sure I did not close the AAdantage shopping portal website that was open in another tab. Also, I made sure the website did not timeout and close my session by going to the tab that had the open AAdvantage website and manually verified whether I am still logged on to the site.
Advantages of Shopping using Airline Shopping Portal
- You can earn a lot of airline miles without flying for your internet purchases. In the above example, if I have made the purchase directly from ebags.com, I would have received only 48 airline miles are points. By using the airline shopping portal, I was able to earn 477 American Airline miles, which include both the portal miles as well as my credit card miles.
- By making a purchase through airline shopping portal, you are forcing a mileage activity in your account which helps your airline miles from getting expired due to inactivity in your airline frequent flyer mile account.
Thigs to consider when shopping the Airline Shopping Portal
- After you sign on to the airline shopping portal website, do not close out browser session.
- Clean browser cache before you start your shopping portal session.
- Before you sign on to the airline shopping portal, do not go to the shopping website and start adding items to your cart. If you want to research out which product you want to buy use a separate browser to research the product you want to buy. When you decided to purchase the product, use a different browser to log on to the airline shopping portal and place your order for purchase.
American Airline AAdvantage Miles Posted to my Account
Receive an email from American Airlines few days after my purchase that I have received 430 AAdvantage miles as part of my ebags.com purchase. From the posted miles you can clearly see the shipping & handling charges plus the tax did not earn additional portal miles.