When all the airlines in the world are devaluing their frequent flyer program by changing award rules and expiring miles if not used in a specific period, the Finnair Frequent flyer program is going the other way by improving the frequent flyer program.
Starting March 31, 2018, your Finnair frequent flyer miles will not expire as long as there is a mileage activity in your account every 18 months. The current Finnair frequent flyer program used to expire miles every three years even if you have any mileage activity in your frequent flyer account.
Why I love his change?, if you are not a frequent flyer and accumulate points for your award travel now you can collect Finnair frequent flyer miles without any worry that they will expire after three years.
Finnair Frequent Flyer Program Changes
Finnair is a member airline of OneWorld alliance in which carriers like American Airlines, British Airways are members. By collecting Finnair frequent flyer miles, you can use the miles to travel in any of the OneWorld alliance airlines.
Finnair is still awarding airlines miles by the distance flow instead of the price you pay for the ticket. One of the key features of the Finnair mileage award program is it still awards generous miles even for a deeply discounted economy class ticket.
Now Finnair is enhancing its frequent flyer program by removing the mileage expiry from its frequent flyer program. Under the current existing policy if you are a Finnair Plus frequent flyer account holder your mileage will expire on the 3rd anniversary of your mileage earning date regardless of any mileage activity in your account.
Now Finnair is changing the mileage expiry rule starting from March 31, 2018, that your miles will never expire as long as there is a mileage activity in your account every 18 months.
By having a mileage activity every 18 months, you can keep our miles from being expired.
What Constitutes a Mileage Activity
- Purchasing miles in your account
- Travelling in Finnair or other partner airlines and crediting your miles to Finnair Plus account
- Redeeming your miles for award travel in Finnair or partner airlines.
- Donating miles from your account for charities.
Note if you transfer miles from one account to another account it will not be considered as mileage activity, and your account expiry will not get extended.
Finnair Plus Frequent Flyer Program Highlights
- Points earned in a child’s Finnair plus junior account will never expire whether there is an activity or not. After the child turns 18 the Finnair plus junior account will be converted to Finnair plus account and the regular account rule applies.
- Points can be transferred from one adult household account to another account in the same household for just €10 for any number of points.
- Earn miles on distance traveled and get generous miles for deeply discounted economy class travel.
- Use miles on OneWorld alliance partners like American Airlines to travel within the USA.
You will Get More Miles for Your American Airline Flights
Both Finnair and American Airlines are OneWorld alliance partners. A couple of years ago American Airlines changed the frequent flyer mileage earning from the distance flow to the money spent on purchasing the ticket. You will receive very few AAdvantage miles on a deeply discounted economy class ticket when you buy ticket coded as American Airlines and credit the miles to the AAdvantage frequent flyer program.
For example, if you purchase a deeply discounted ticket for $500 for travel from DFW-MUC-DFW, you will get only 1000 AAdvantage miles assuming the ticket cost is $100 (with $400 in taxes, government & other fees) and you have no status with American Airlines.
Finnair frequent flyer program is one of the good frequent flyer program available in the airline industry. Now miles earned in the program will never expire as long as there is an activity every 18 months the program is even getting better. If you frequently fly in American Airlines, Finnair offers the best option to credit your miles to its frequent flyer program and earn more miles (kilometers).